Sunday, March 15, 2015

Becoming Brave

 "I love those who can smile in trouble, gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection." -Thomas Paine

Writing IS risky.
Soul stiring emotion evoking 
words wielded and penned 
expose us
Make us vulnerable.
We are left with ink
Bleeding feeling 
Across the page.

While I agree with Paine, sometimes writing pains me. I am well into the thoroughs of middle age and still find allowing my words, my thinking and musings on paper and pixeled on a screen, out into the wide world, a bit of a daunting task. There are pages upon pages tucked away in tomes that no one will read until I have departed the confines of this earth. Additionally there are thoughts and ideas swirling around my mind like clouds in the sky. Sometimes the clouds gain Numbistratus bulk and my words rain out on the page. Other times they feather out like Cirrus clouds suspended in time.

The great Maya Angelou claimed, "There is no greater burden than bearing within you an untold story." 

Sarah Barilles concurs in her song Brave "You can be amazing You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug You can be the backlash of somebody's lack of love. Or you can start speaking up...Say what you wanna say and let the words fall out Honestly I wanna see you be brave!"

Braving the storm of one's own emotions stirred up by circumstances around us, and either the gentle renewing sprinkling of kind words or the maelstrom of thoughtless needles of cold rain pelting  can be risky. It requires a degree of courage and a dose of bravery to give birth to one's story. 

I am cognizant of this as I blog, but even more so when I have the honor of reading my students' writing. I am grateful they count me a safe place to share their thinking. They allow me to nudge and encourage them to think and write deeply. This is a gift. I too am a student who has received that gift from my PLN and trusted friends who listens as I brave new life territory trying to BE brave and "let the words spill out..."

Joshua 1:9 (ESV) "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

4 comments:

  1. Your writing is beautiful and brave - I love your cloud similes, imagery, quotes, and passion for story-telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, it was fun to arrive at your post last tonight. What we do (let the words spill out) is a brave act as we let the words spill out. Thanks for the verse from Joshua, advising us to be strong and courageous for the Lord is with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite aspects of your writing is its' depth, giving us a glimpse of your insights and musings. What a beautiful relationship you are cultivating with your students by creating a safe place for them to be brave and share their words with you. Thank you also for providing mutual encourgment and bravery for your PLN friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful writing. I love this quote! "Additionally there are thoughts and ideas swirling around my mind like clouds in the sky. Sometimes the clouds gain Numbistratus bulk and my words rain out on the page. Other times they feather out like Cirrus clouds suspended in time." I so identify with this this week. My words were coming in slow trickles.

    ReplyDelete