Friday, June 5, 2015

Leaving a Legacy

http://m.godtube.com/watch/?v=92BCM1NU


"I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
And you could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the who's who's and so-and-so
That used to be the best at such and such
It wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta Boy' or 'Atta Girl'
In the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to you enough
To make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name
Unapologetically and leave that kind of legacy."


Nichole Nordman


The first time I enjoyed this song was at an eighth grade banquet, as my students prepared to graduate and advance to high school. I am currently working out words for my current advancing grade eight students. I felt honored they asked me to speak at their graduation. However there is so much I want to say to them; so much I hope they already know. Swirling about these sentiments is a fair amount of personal grieving. I am excited to move to grade four next year, but as I mentioned in a prior blog there is something amazingly special about sharing time and learning with grades six through nine. Have I left seeds for a legacy? How will they remember me? 

Yesterday my students presented their passion projects. Nine weeks of research, reading, creating, making decisions, and I was in awe of what they shared. Subject matter about which they care deeply, combined with their talents. They already possess the power to "leave a mark on things; leave an offering." So as I share these last four and a half days of the journey with them I will choose to love and pray my actions point to Him.

4 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there to see their passion projects, as well as listen to your wors at their graduation. Enjoy these last, precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So our minds are following the same song. I started out my SPJ post with Nordeman's uplifting Legacy song. How wonderful that you get to speak at graduation! I am sure your presentation will be a home run! I am sure that the day will be bittersweet. Happy to hear about your passion project. Inquiry is the right path to lead students onward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passion projects - how wonderful! The song you shared and the obvious emotion and gratitude you exude about your students uplift me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and feel free to link this post up to my SJT post today - sorry I missed last week!!

    ReplyDelete